Sunday, September 19, 2010

Peggy McIntosh- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

Reflection-
I really enjoyed this article. I think it was easy to read and I really agreed with what she was saying. As a white woman, I don't think about the things that come easy to me or things I don't have to worry about as a white person. I really like how it was in list form and really touched on all sorts of common things that I've never thought about until now. I feel that reading this made me more aware of how it really is in this country.

I think the part where she says it makes you think about how to change it or lessen the advantage is very important. How can we change something thats been considered a "norm" for so long? Even if everyone in the white race becomes aware of the everyday privileges we don't think about, what will that do?

1 comment:

  1. I Completely agree with you when you say “how can we change something thats been considered a "norm" for so long?” When we get into a social rut like that I am sure it is hard to get out. When we look at Slavery that had been around for 100’s of years until it was changed. I also agree with you on how it opens your eyes to this country and how we aren’t that great after all.

    ReplyDelete