Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Gender in Education

While researching gender differences in education, I came across alot of studies and research talking about the gender gaps in education. As the years go on the gaps seem to get smaller but they are still present. More girls than boys end up going to college and thinking about the classes I have taken here at RIC and even thinking about the ones I took at CCRI, I realized that there have been more females. Here is a link to one of the sites I found discussing the gaps in 2010 and some of the changes.
In class I planned on asking why the gap is getting smaller now? What has changed to make more men choose to go on to higher education?

Another thing that I found interesting was that there are many people who believe that schools should be segregated. Many researchers think that school curriculum is geared towards teaching girls. Here is one site that explains why girls and boys recieve a different education. Reading all this really made me mad because thinking about my classes, I don't think I've ever noticed a teacher who has tried to exclude the boys or set them up for failure and it seems that is what this site wants people to think. Another site I found talks about how boys and girls should recieve seperate educations because boys develop at a different rate than girls. I disagree with this completely. It is true that boys mature slower than girls, however I think it's important to have interaction between boys and girls in school to help expand the learning. Having the different genders in schools offers different perspectives. Click here to read the research on having seperate schooling. This link is actually from 2003. There are newer sites but this is the most informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment