Sunday, December 5, 2010

"The Lost Blog Post"

I wrote this post when we read the article and yet it never ended up getting posted. Somehow, probably due to a user issue, this post ended up just getting saved in my post history as a draft and until now I had no idea where it was. Hopefully someone still reads it.

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us- Linda Christensen Argument post

"I was nourished on the milk of Amercican culture: I cleaned the dwarves' house and waited for Prince Charming to bring me life; I played Minnie to Mickey's flower-bearing adoration, and, later, I swooned in Rhett Butler's arms- my waist as narrow and my bosom every bit as heaving as Scarlett's.

But my Daddy didn't own a plantation; he owned a rough-and-tumble bar frequented by loggers and fishermen. My waist didn't dip into and hourglass; in fact, according to the novels I read my thick ankles doomed me to be cast as the peasant woman reaping hay while the heorine swept her handsome man in hot pursuit."

Linda Christensen argues that media is shaping young minds to believe that they need to be a certain way to succeed. She disagrees with this. In her class, she has her students so a project on childrens cartoons to show them that media depicts stereotypes in a condecending way. For example, the indians in "Looney Tunes" are portrayed as inferior human beings. Christensen believes that we need to be more aware of this and teach our children/students that stereotypes in movies, cartoons and tv shows are blown out of proportion.

In class, I want to hear the classes opinion on their favorite childhood cartoons and tv shows now that we have all read specific examples. I know it made me take a second look at what I watched as a child.

This video was ban from television because it is thought to have "in your face" racial negativity

1 comment:

  1. The old looney tunes have many explicitly racist scenes like the one you posted. Whew! SMH.

    ReplyDelete